Very cold A6 :( [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Very cold A6 :(

swoop
01-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Hi i've recently bought my first audi :) a '96 A6 2.8 v6 SE auto the car is great apart from 1 thing there's no heat coming thru the blowers or registering on the temp guage,also engine temp doesnt rise above 60 but both gauges slowly "and i mean very slowly " rise if i'm sat in traffic, was thinking thermostat stuck open, i've seen a few posts stating that changing the thermostat is a huge job but i'm gonna try doing it myself,just wondered wether anyone else had this problem and if it was a jammed thermostat.

thanks

jaimesonlee
01-02-2009, 03:09 AM
Swoop,

I haven't had any T-stat problems with my Audi but I have with some of my previous vehicles and that sounds exactly like the problem to me. I had the same thing happen with my smallblock chevy. There could be other reasons this is happening. Apparently no one has offered any info on this yet so I would check other sources (i.e. internet, mechanic shops, etc.) while you are waiting here. If you do tackle the job yourself, please let me know if it was the problem. I could possibly benefit from what you learn from this as it could happen to me. Thanks.

Jay

booliv
04-02-2011, 08:54 PM
I have the same problem on my 95 A6 2.8 Q. A few years ago i replaced the thermostat-it didn't do anything...i had it done at dealership.

AvantA6
05-27-2011, 01:11 AM
Problems with no heat on a C4 A6 could be a stuck thermostat, or vacuum operated valve that cuts coolant off of the heater core, or more likely the heater air valve actuator blocked closed. The thermostat can be removed and replaced without tearing down all of the front of the engine. It is a tight fit, but can be replaced by disconnecting the casting it is housed in. Bentley manual shows how. The vacuum valve that closes off the coolant hose from enginer block to heater core can be tested easily to see if it is not opening. Most likely if your thermostat is working properly, hook a Ross-Tech cable to your pc and scan codes in the HVAC module for blocked heater valve. If you trace it to the driver's side heater air motor stuck closed, this servo can be removed from the vehicle, disassembled and cleaned, and returned to the vehicle for miles more of heat. Take the motor/gear drive out of the car and to a clean workbench. Disassembled cautiously, clean it of carbon and reassemble. The motor /gear drive will work with good success. I have done this on my 1996 A6 Quattro and found that the carbon from the brushes blocks up the rotor from moving properly. You may be best to disassemble the wiper system to get to this servo after removing all the cowl trim to access the phillips screws holding it all together.