new c4 owner with questions [Archive] - Audi Forums

: new c4 owner with questions

phils200t
11-17-2008, 04:14 AM
i just bought a 93 audi 100s with the 2.8 V6 with 156k miles. I have a majority of the service records and the car was very very well taken care of. The service intervals were done right on time each time up to about 120k.

I think it may be getting due for another timing belt which ive read is a PITA of a job to do. I do or try to do most of my own work but had no idea audi's were that hard to work on. Im starting to regret this purchase, but needed a DD asap and "thought" this would be a good one. Overall the car is in great shape everything works except the cruise control.

It needs tires, struts, and some body molding replaced but thats about it, otherwise in great shape.

Im trying to decide if i wanna drop the 800-1k to have the timing belt changed or try and sell and find something else. Is the 2.8 a interference engine if the belt breaks ?

msydnor
11-17-2008, 07:18 AM
Yes, if your belt breaks you will likely bend some vavles. The hardest thing about changing the timing belt and the reason it cost so much is because you have to remove the front clip to get too the front of the engine to change it. They are suppose to be good for 100K miles. so if yours was changed when it should have been, you have plenty of time left.

MEDEL514
08-17-2009, 04:49 AM
I didn't have to removed the front clip to get to my timing belt. The C4 has plenty of room between the motor and radiator, unlike the B5's. The timing belt is easy if you're a decent mechanic, there should be some other local shops that will change it for you for way less than $1k. I know of a shop in Phoenix that does 1.8t timing belts for about $400 including parts and labor! a great deal, done in 4 hours! Shop around for VW/Audi mechanics!

MEDEL514
05-06-2010, 02:19 PM
I see that you have a Audi C4, just to let you know, you wont have to remove the front clip like alot of people think. The C4 has plenty of room in the engine bay to do the job without removing anything like that. I couldn't find a decent write up, but I can give you some reccomendations.

Make sure you have a decent set of metric tools. You must also have metric allen tools, not just allen wrenches, but 3/8" drive allen socket set as well. Some of the bolts that hold on the drive pulley and alternator are an 8mm (I think) allen bolt, so you need to put a bit of force to break them loose.

Also, the pulley that sits right infrom of the water pump has 2 of the 4 bolts that are hidden, they take a minute to find, you have to turn the pulley wheel in the right position to seet the bolt heads. Kinda trickey to find, but once you do, its cake from there.

If this is your first time doing a timing belt job, I would highly recomend getting the kit from Blauparts: Audi 100 Timing Belt - Audi 100 Timing Belt Kit - 2.8 Liter (http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GH21110%2DA)

I didn't use their kit, but I've heard nothing but good about their parts, and they also rent out a timing belt tool kit, which has the cam locking bar....essential so you don't have a cam slip on you and mess up all of your valves as soon as you try to start it. They also include a step by step instructions for how to do the timimng belt job on the 2.8 30v.

Hope this helps!