Starting when hot grrr [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Starting when hot grrr

DanA3
11-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Hi all

when driven my a3 2.0 tdi for more the 15-20min to normal temp. Trying to restart car before it cooled down seams to struggle any ideas?
Starts fine when cold.

Cheers
Dan
:confused:

DanA3
11-12-2008, 10:51 AM
any one? nooo?

goldenoldie
12-19-2008, 11:09 AM
hi dan

im researching this issue with my car 98 1.6 a3, here is wot i read:--
in older audi 100's leaky injector O-rings have been suggested(cause minor flooding). Audi say sales of A3 inj o rings r rare.
coolant temp is suggested as common fault however mine was replaced by previous owner,
OK iv been reading about ECU temp thermistor,temp sender to ecu not the gauge near the speedo
this sender aids the ecu in controlling the fuel/air mix at start up(adjusts throttle body opening). i hope iv been told right.!
if ecu is reading 110c it cuts out the engine as saftey precaution.
I always have to touch accelarator to fire her up warm. i get an occaisional cut out too:
i will replace thermistor and post result
hope some of this helps M8

DanA3
12-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Thank for getting back to me. Ive changed coolant temperature sensor too didn't fix problem. Ive read could be one following

Fuel pump might be failing and there is a low pressure
Crank position sensor
Dirty fuel injectors
coolant temperature sensor
Clogged or dirty fuel filter
A bad fuel pressure regulator

coolant temp is suggested as common fault however mine was replaced by previous owner,
OK iv been reading about ECU temp thermistor,temp sender to ecu )
Thats the coolant temperature sensor isn't it?

goldenoldie
12-19-2008, 11:42 AM
hey thats wot i thought , apparently ecu temp thermistor is seperate sensor to coolant temp(this 1 just feeds the gauge on dash).
i looked under bonnet sure enough there r 2 sensors on radiator top hose . i unplugged the 1 nearest windscreen. gauge in the cab slowly died down to 0. plugged back in slowly come up. working i would say.
I unplugged the other 1 and nothing.no change
iv read on a newer A4 ecu t therm is in the coolant bottle.
Im gonna go with this and replace as matter of course.I will add ecu t ther price asap.(if i can find it if not ill ring audi trade counter)

crank sensor did not help this lad...hall sender did not help me
VWAUDI Forum (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=54334&highlight=leak)

chappers849
09-23-2009, 03:59 AM
I just wanted to let everyone know that my hot start problem has now been sorted. It turned out to be a weak starter motor which apparently is quite common on these engines according to the VAG master tech mechanic I used.