1985 golf alternator pulley problem ? [Archive] - Audi Forums

: 1985 golf alternator pulley problem ?

hamold1
09-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Just got this 1985 golf diesel 1.6 non turbo with a/c for my boy to drive. The alternator belt won't stay tight, getting eaten up. Looks the the pulley is too wide maybe the wrong one, so I order a new pulley for this application from allEURASIANauroparts INC . The new pulley sticks out so the the main wide v-belt would catch the alternator too, providing I get a longer belt...but how could I adjust this...or is this totaly wrong? Any help?

New to vw
Can't wait to get this on the road full time 50mpg was what I was told.

Thanks Chris

hamold1
10-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Ordered and installed correct pulley from dealer....fits the belt just fine....still seems to loosen up after just a few minutes of running----belt jumps/vibrates alot for being just a short belt????????:confused:

garnetteyes
01-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Does the bolt on the bracket look like the one here?

VW GOLF MK2 & GTI ALTERNTOR AJUSTING BOLT (C78) on eBay (end time 09-Jan-11 08:11:05 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK2-GTI-ALTERNTOR-AJUSTING-BOLT-C78-/190455292868?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c580523c4)

Failing that put a nylock nut on the other end of the bolt

jb86
01-15-2011, 07:57 PM
i have a 91 jetta 1.6l td.
a/c and power steering with 3 belts.
first
be sure that you get the proper thickness. they are metric. the a/c belt is thicker and the ps and alt belt are thin.
600mis and the alt belt (all best quality continental belts) broke
the alternator is bolted ridgid and has an adjustable pulley under it to tighten the belt.
the altenrator is slightly (less than 1/8") out of line with the a/c compressor. but i can see it with a straight edge. the adjusting pulley was definitely out of line. i put a flat washer behind the pulley mount to push it out 1/16" or so.
ive got 1000mis and still going. but the darn thing loosens.
im going to find a way to install a serpentine belt on it.