Just Bought '96 A6 [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Just Bought '96 A6

nikovision
04-11-2008, 09:25 PM
http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/147591/audi3.jpg

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1464/audifrontdp2.jpg

1996 Audi A6 2.8 V6 Quattro

Payed $2,500 for her. 120k miles, no problems just sun roof motor is broken. Its my first car.

I got a couple questions about the car.

1) Will I be able to swap original head unit with an aftermarket, but still keep the stock Bose speakers?

2) If not, is there any method of iPod integration through the CD changer?

3) Can I swap the stock steering wheel with an S6 wheel?

Thanks.

brjones4
04-11-2008, 09:35 PM
http://pictureposter.audiworld.com/147591/audi3.jpg

http://img100.imageshack.us/img100/1464/audifrontdp2.jpg

1996 Audi A6 2.8 V6 Quattro

Payed $2,500 for her. 120k miles, no problems just sun roof motor is broken. Its my first car.

I got a couple questions about the car.

1) Will I be able to swap original head unit with an aftermarket, but still keep the stock Bose speakers?

2) If not, is there any method of iPod integration through the CD changer?

3) Can I swap the stock steering wheel with an S6 wheel?

Thanks.

Nice find the car looks mint!! You could but you will have serious trouble finding a head unit that can power 10 speakers. I have a 2003 a6 sline and you cant wire and ipod into the stock system. i would say get a tape deck adapter for it instead its about $10 versus up too 500. and yes the steering wheel should fit. they are all the same specs.

dimmuburger
08-10-2008, 11:48 PM
If the speakers are powered outside of the head unit then it seems like the aftermarket unit's preamp outputs could be used. Just a thought, but I may be looking at the same prob, so I'd like to know as well.

kjones603
08-19-2008, 11:10 PM
I am not an Audi guy but I AM a Corvette guy. Most Corvette's are Bose equipped. I can tell you for certain that you can NOT use an after market radio/cd with the Bose speakers. To do the same thing on one of my Corvettes I had to replace all the speakers and eliminate the power going to the speakers etc.

Ken

a6hcw
08-21-2008, 02:16 PM
I bought an 1996 A6 2.8L Quattro almost like your, except for the wheels and bumpers and a few problems.
Shortly after picking up the A6 from the preowned dealer, I stopped to get gas. The sunroof popped open when I locked the doors.
That is why you need a copy of the Audi shop manual CD.

kjones603
08-21-2008, 11:01 PM
I bought an 1996 A6 2.8L Quattro almost like your, except for the wheels and bumpers and a few problems.
Shortly after picking up the A6 from the preowned dealer, I stopped to get gas. The sunroof popped open when I locked the doors.
That is why you need a copy of the Audi shop manual CD.

I just had a very similar problem. I tried to start the car with a low battery. The sun roof opened. I recharged the battery and tried to close the roof panel.
It would not close. In desperation (we all know that if the sun roof is left open it WILL definitely rain, right?) I disconnected the battery and reconnected it 10-15 minutes later.

Voila!!!! I worked fine after that.

Weird huh???

B-Diz
09-09-2008, 11:01 PM
I am not an Audi guy but I AM a Corvette guy. Most Corvette's are Bose equipped. I can tell you for certain that you can NOT use an after market radio/cd with the Bose speakers. To do the same thing on one of my Corvettes I had to replace all the speakers and eliminate the power going to the speakers etc.

Ken

ok now there is obv a huge diff in corvette and audi. and yea dude u can put on in i got a kenwood in mine and i got the bose system all u gotta do is get the wiring harness and i have the ipod connection for my deck too :)

Professorn
10-15-2008, 06:34 AM
About the headunit, I my self have changed H/U in a older ('95) A8 4.2Q (bose and quattro was standard on these for those who didn't know :) ) the H/u swap is quite easy, but if th C4 is having the same piece of junk stock amplifier then your screwed... Every time the amp cuts the voltage from the preout you'll hear a big ugly POP, from all speakers. They will still work and play music, but I would either change the speakers and amp, use a high-level/low-level converter (havn't tried it my self, but it might work), live with the pop in every track change, power off, power on and so on, or change the amp.