Coolant Loss [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Coolant Loss

Lignumopus
11-16-2007, 09:59 AM
2006 A3 3.2 DSG S-Line, 15,000 miles of mixed driving
I have a slow drop in coolant level..slow as in.....from MAX to below MIN in 7 months.
Car is under full warranty. It has been to dealer for this 7 months ago and is going in again on Monday 19th November.
This time the "COOLANT" warning came on (nice to know the warning system works).
So where is the coolant going? That's what I want to know. Dealer will no doubt come up with some ru***sh reason....

Has anyone suffered a similar problem?

bilitt
12-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Might be a broken sylinder gasket ore onely a need for re-thigthen bolts for cylinder head. Be avare if this still continue after service. Make a mark on the coolant expantion tank after engine is cold ( over night), controll coolant vs. marking every day. PS.: coolant level can be reduced some over time because of local high temperature.

regards
bilitt
(sorry for bad english) (long time not writing)

A3Stan
05-07-2008, 07:35 AM
Hi, just flicking through the threads when I came acroos your coolant loss 1. Have you resolved the issue yet? I've got a 20tdi with same problem. Cheers

a3 s-line
06-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Same problem topped up coolant 3 times and only done 2k :mad: previously had 15k of trouble free motoring :D Been in touch with my dealer and told it could be the EGR Valve :confused: Booked in for 2 days next week to hopefully get sorted :rolleyes: Keep you in formed. In @ The Dealers now 1st day was to investigate the coolant loss, called me on the second day to tell me it's the heater matrix which is causing the problem. It's now going to be 4 days till I get the car back. Got my baby back:D unfortunatley she's still losing coolant:mad:. Took her back on the 02/08/08 to be investigated:confused:. Called the Dealer on 08/08/08 to be told it's the cylinder head:eek:, it had been taken off to be crack tested and they found a fracture between the Exhaust port and a the water jacket, Bits on order get her back the middle of next week:)

Captain Jimbo
08-09-2008, 06:36 AM
Just thought I'd chip in that I have the same fault on my 20.TDi Sport too. Is this a common problem I wonder? Had it a year and just topped it up from the warning indicator point to full again for the second time so its about six months top to bottom. I only do about 3k a year though so it may be more time related than milage. Cant find any leaks but it must be tiny anyway. Thought if it was the head gasket it would become more pronounced. What is the EGR valve referred to? Exhaust Gas Recirculation? Does anyone know how that could affect the coolant?

Red_Dwarf
10-15-2008, 10:25 AM
A3 S-Line,

Just wondering what happened in the end? Fixed? Mine's going in tomorrow with same fault...

Cheers RD

Captain Jimbo
10-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Nope, couldn't find anything. Any further investigation will require possibly a pressure test of the coolant system or starting to pull things apart. Given how little it's using and the low milage we do I'm just going to leave it unless its gets worse. I am going to put some Bars Leaks in the system though, it's always worthwile as it helps lube the seals and pump too and only costs a few quid.
Let us know how yours gets on though, always appreciate having more info.

Cheers,
Captain Jimbo.

A3Stan
10-17-2008, 03:01 AM
Hi, I've put a bars leak in my 2.0tdi and it did seem to stop the loss of coolant for a while! It went in for its cam belt service at 80,000 miles around march/april time and I had the water pump changed as part of the service. Obviously the cooland has been replaced so there will be little or no bars leak left in the system. My car went through 90,000 miles about 2 weeks ago and I finally had to top it up. In summary its done about10,000 miles and 6 months and it has used about half a litre of coolant which seems such a small amount. I forgot to mention, whilst it was in for the cam belt, I got the garage to pressure test it. They left it pressurised for about 40 mins with absolutly no pressure drop! I can only assume as an engineer myself that the leak occures when the car in running and obviously hot which may creat a leak from somewhere as a result of thermal expantion opening a small gap. This wouldn't happen if under pressure test sat cold in a garage. I'm of the same mind as you, as long as it doesn't get any worse.......
Let me know if you get any further with it, I know there are a few 3.2 V6's with the problem but it is less likely to be the same problem with a very different engine.

Cheers Stan
PS sorry about such a long message!

DanA3
10-21-2008, 12:17 PM
A3 2.0 tdi 140 2004 57,000
Got same thing coolant loss. Had it pressure tested no drop in pressure for 15 mins.
and no leaks found.
Hate to say it but thing going to be head. Bloody audi.
Getting a sniffer test done coolant tank in 2 weeks

A3Stan
10-21-2008, 12:36 PM
Whats a sniffer test then?

fsitec
10-26-2008, 06:29 AM
hi everyone im new to this forum today, realy easy to navigate through it i must say. i had the same colant problem with my 2.0fsi at the end of september. i was lossing colant hence the warning light cummin up. i was told by audi that it was the joints to the radiator.however they also changed the temp sensor and colant fan, whitch they said had part to play in the leak.since then i havent had any problems with the colant however a week later the car didnt feel right, back to dealer to find the fuel pressure sensor and cv gater had gone.seems to me this is a commen problem witch can have a bit of a knock on effect.

Lignumopus
10-26-2008, 04:02 PM
A3 S-Line,

Just wondering what happened in the end? Fixed? Mine's going in tomorrow with same fault...

Cheers RD

Under warranty, Audi "sealed coolant hose joint beneath throttle valve"
That was a year ago and I've had no more coolant loss since!

Cheers,

Dave

A3Stan
12-03-2008, 05:04 AM
Hi. Did you get any further with the coolant loss? I'm getting worried now, my car has just got through a litre of coolant in only 3000 miles. It used to take about 10,000!

Lignumopus
12-03-2008, 06:19 AM
Reply to A3Stan,

Hi,

Sorry for the delay - in answer to your question...
I've had no further loss of coolant over the last year (since 22/11/07)

The work carried out by AUDI was "Sealed Coolant Hose joint beneath Throttle Valve".

Again, apologies for the delay.

Good luck,

Dave