90' Audi 200 power cuts out when you mash the gas, check engine light appears?? [Archive] - Audi Forums

: 90' Audi 200 power cuts out when you mash the gas, check engine light appears??

jerbele
07-20-2007, 03:42 PM
I have a 90' Audi 200 with auto transmission that has approx $7000-8000 in maintenance the last four years by an Audi tech privately so it has not been neglected by any means. When you mash the gas down on the highway or at about 25mph or higher eventually the power cuts out and the orange check engine light appears?? No vaccum leaks either unless its one the is undetectablly small? From what I've read it mmmight be the throttle switch? I have no idea cause most the reading you find about this car is from the 91' 20v quattro version, so I'm not sure if the same things apply or not. Any suggestions as to what it might be?

thanks,

josh

audiqv8
08-01-2008, 05:31 PM
I have a 90' Audi 200 with auto transmission that has approx $7000-8000 in maintenance the last four years by an Audi tech privately so it has not been neglected by any means. When you mash the gas down on the highway or at about 25mph or higher eventually the power cuts out and the orange check engine light appears?? No vaccum leaks either unless its one the is undetectablly small? From what I've read it mmmight be the throttle switch? I have no idea cause most the reading you find about this car is from the 91' 20v quattro version, so I'm not sure if the same things apply or not. Any suggestions as to what it might be?

thanks,

josh

Even though this question was posted over a year old I will post my view.

So you go to 'mash down on the gas pedal' with a lost in power and then the check engine light is coming on. Your lost in power is because the ECU for some reason is detecting that the engine is knocking and is retarding the timing (this is causing your lost in power) and the check engine light is letting you know that the ECU is retarding the timing.

Is the engine making any strange noises? What octane gas is in the car? You can try going to a higher gas octane. Was any modification done on the car to improve performance? You could also check/replace the knock sensor.

2Pix
12-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Hi,

i have an 1986 Audi 200 with the engine MC1 (so still the older one, till 88 i think) - i have the same problem, but from today i got also on the check system the red triangle (without anything in it). for answering of your questions:

1) i use the 95 octane gasoline (premium in US?) - switching to higher octane gas doesnt fix the problem
2) the engine is still the same - i mean like same sounds etc
3) i figured out that it "turbocharges" till 1.2-1.3 bar, then it goes to the orange light and slows down ...
4) i can rev the car to approx 4000 with no problem ... or also just to 2500 - the point of it is "requested presure of the turbocharger cannot be delivered because X - going to safe mode till request is lower" - got it? sounds stupid he ? :)

take all my text with reserve pls :) im from Czech Republic :)

Groupbjunkie
06-19-2009, 02:07 AM
I think i have the same problem. Did anyone find a solution to this?
I have some more details in this link also https://www.audi-forums.com/new-member-area-introduction/52929-new-member-new-audi-driver-problem.html

Over 1500 views come on someones gotta know something or at least be able to point us in the right direction!!!

Edit: I think I may have the solution! I haven't replaced my fuel filter in about 30000 miles so this could be it. It meets the problem critera. Will complete and share results on wed.