Audi Forums banner

A3 brake light constantly on

9K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  bigvin 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Has Audi's before, but never an A3.

I have, like others I have read had an itermittent brake light coming on. I have replaced the switch but now the light is permanently on. I tried putting on the old iffy one and that stays on perminent as well.

I have spoken to Audi and they say that the light will probably need re-encoding at £55 for half hours work.

Has anyone else had this kind of issue, and is the Audi dealer trying it on (as if they would).

Thanks for any advice.

#2 · (Edited)
Unplug connector.Turn brake light switch anti-clockwise through 45° and remove.
Installing
Install in reverse order, paying attention to the following:
Pull out plunger of brake light switch as far as it will go -arrow-.
Insert retainer tabs -1- and -2- of switch in recesses provided in assembly opening and secure by turning clockwise through 45°.
Notes:When installing, brake pedal is not to be pressed.
Plunger is adjusted automatically on inserting brake switch.
Check operation of brake lights both with brake pedal pressed and at rest.You may require a second switch if you havent fitted it correctly

Attachments

#3 ·
Thanks for the info.

The brakes lights staying on perminantely was a bit of a red herring, as I went to a friend of mine's and I had not quite twisted it around enough (it was only a natch though), and now seems to be working ok.

Now I have seen this once it should be a lot easier next time, and by the sounds of it there will be a next time.

Thanks once again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.