88 5000S door lock issues [Archive] - Audi Forums

: 88 5000S door lock issues

lanovak
06-02-2007, 04:59 PM
I've been having intermittent problems with my driver side door lock for about 2 years now. My mechanic claims to have replaced parts, but the same issue comes up. Put the key in the lock, it turns but will not lock or unlock the door. I then have to lock the doors from the passenger side. Today a weird thing happened, I locked the car (from the passenger side) when I unlocked it, the lock almost immediately locked itself, I unlocked, it locked and did this repeatedly. I managed to open the door and get in the car from the passenger side and at that point was locked inside. Even when I tried to unlock from the inside, the lock would go back down again. Does anyone know what part I would need to order to fix this? Maybe I should order it myself and give it to my mechanic to install. Sorry for the lengthy post, but don't know how else to describe what is happening.

Harvey Smith
08-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Before you do anything check for broken and almost broken wires inside the expansion rubber cover between the driver door and the car body.. If your car has a fair few miles these wires will very likely need fixing. There's a good chance all will be well afterwards.

ruslan1313
01-30-2009, 11:55 PM
I had the same issue and I found it was a lock ring inside the lock cylinder. I just got a spare part form a old unit(it was not the same year) car that was very similar and fix it. Just make sure you put the ring the right way. While you desassemble your lock cylinder check for small broken pieces. Good luck.

I've been having intermittent problems with my driver side door lock for about 2 years now. My mechanic claims to have replaced parts, but the same issue comes up. Put the key in the lock, it turns but will not lock or unlock the door. I then have to lock the doors from the passenger side. Today a weird thing happened, I locked the car (from the passenger side) when I unlocked it, the lock almost immediately locked itself, I unlocked, it locked and did this repeatedly. I managed to open the door and get in the car from the passenger side and at that point was locked inside. Even when I tried to unlock from the inside, the lock would go back down again. Does anyone know what part I would need to order to fix this? Maybe I should order it myself and give it to my mechanic to install. Sorry for the lengthy post, but don't know how else to describe what is happening.

samabhi12
05-31-2009, 12:57 PM

I had too this problem but I have changed the whole lock system. You should never take chance with the security. It is the top most priority thing in an expensive vehicle.