I may end up with an A6 [Archive] - Audi Forums

: I may end up with an A6

tobybul
01-24-2007, 06:40 AM
Am seriously looking at a one owner 1996 A6 with 134k. I drives pretty well overall but issues I see that need to be done include shocks/struts, possible ball joint/control arm, and tires.

Except for the tires, I plan to perform the work myself so I hope its not too hard to do. I do on my MB's and Caravan.

I did notice that the oil pressure gage did not seem to work as it didnt move much when I test drove the car. The dealer tells me that Audi's oil gage measure temperature - not pressure. Is this true? I have not gone to check the car out again so I can't confirm. Also, I noticed that the temp age did not seem to get up to operating temp but I was getting good heat from the a/c.

Also, per dealer, PO said that timing belt was replaced at about 80k. How can I confirm this? Plus can a dealer pull up service records even if service was done in dealerships out of state? What do you think would a fair price for this car be? $4600 seems high.
84 300DT FED W123 245k Michelin XH4
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforum/images/misc/progress.gif

surinak
05-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Dude.....why would your dealer lie to you?? Yes, it is a temp gauge and unless you want topull the motor apart, you are going to have to take his word on that also. Just make sure you get a copy of the records he has. And the price sounds awsome to me. I have an A6 96 and that thing has 200,000km and it is an absolute pleasure to drive. If that car is loaded and tight with service records you would be crazy not to buy it!!