Power Windows? Stutter? Antenna? [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Power Windows? Stutter? Antenna?

selyon
04-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Hello. I recently purchased a 1984 Audi 5000S (non-quattro, non-turbo). Overall, it is in great shape. The leather and dash are good and there is no real rust (a huge deal in Minnesota :) ). It does have some "quirks" though that I hope you guys can help with.

2 of the 4 power windows will not roll down (both on the passenger side). On one you can hear the motor trying, but nothing happens. On the other, you can't hear the motor at all.

The power antenna won't come up. We pulled on it and got it to raise up a little, but I think it is so gunked up that it won't go any further or go back down. Any advice on how best to clean it? We have tried penetrating oil on several occasions, but I don't think we got far enough down.

Sometimes (and mostly when it is very cold), the car will stutter or delay when moving from a stop. This is a little disconcerting when you're pulling out into traffic. Any advice? Is it the tranny?

Just to let you know what I have done as far as maintenance so far: changed the oil, spark plugs and air filter. Sadly, that's about it. What else should I be doing? It's been a long time since I had a German car (1985 VW Golf) and I have never owned and Audi before. Please help! :liebe011:

kazyee
04-12-2006, 11:54 PM
im not familiar with ur model car, but if u can... unscrew it, and leave it in soapy warm water for a few hours and then try.... hopefully that might do it.... or take a blow drier to it and warm it up for a while to loosen everything up

Harvey Smith
08-31-2006, 01:00 PM
For a starter the window activator switches have a tendency to fail. You can likely swap one for another to see if this fixes. Be careful when removing the plastic holders.

There is a tendency for the wires to break or be intermittent in the door harness on the driver door due to flexing from driver door frequent use. You might be able to fix this with a soldering iron and splice in some new wire if this is the case. First you'll need to expose the wires because they are in a sheath. Make sure you use electronic so:)lder for splicing and electrical tape or heat shrink tubing to insulate exposed wires.