First Time Audi Owner: 1989 200 Turbo- Red [Archive] - Audi Forums

: First Time Audi Owner: 1989 200 Turbo- Red

taxfact
04-07-2006, 02:08 PM
Good Morning, Afternoon or Evening, depending :) ....

I just got this 1989 Audi 200 turbo, from a friend. What am I in for? I have never owned an Audi. It seems to be a real nice car. The nice thing is that is only has 114000 miles on it and it is straight. What a lot of nice features this car has....

1. The back windows do not work ----ANY REPAIR HINTS on the window repair

but other than that, it is working mech. and elect.

2. Any suggested preventative maintainence? My son will be driving it on 1000
mile round trips.

Thanks,
Dave W in Kansas

kazyee
04-07-2006, 07:52 PM
motors, or the switches, or im not sure if they had this in 89 but child saftey locks i kno on the a4 it has it... open the rear door and it will be on the door

as for maint. check the oil, tranny fuild, clutch (if its manual) and tire tred, timing belt, leaks... and that should be it

:00000732: to the forum

taxfact
04-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Hey Kazyee.
Thanks for the reply, I am getting the rack... Rack & pinion, replaced because it was leaking, The guy selling me the car noticed it. And since he is a long time friend of my brother and works for my brother he is really taking care to make sure everything is OK with the car before we get it. He said the part is around $250 and he is replacing it himself. This was his daughters car. He bought it for her from a friend of his and has followed this car for a 10 years he said. I did not mention he just bought his daughter a 1990 audi, with 370,000 miles on it. That is why he is selling the one I am getting. It makes no sense to me but I hope this car turns out to be as good as it looks and drives and sounds now. It is really nice. My 18 year old son will be driving it and he just loves it.
He and I just listed on EBAY an 1989 VW GOLF that he did 900.00 worth of damage to the front and back tires/ axles sides into a curb. Someone basically came in his lane and he had to swerve into the curb bent the axle' tire area. So, we will be. I just had put 1500 dollars into it too. But this AUDI Will be a much much safer car.
I can't wait to get this car.
It has been well maintained and it. However he told us the AC is not working right. Once I figure out what is really wrong , I will have questions on that later. I need to find a good Audi man in the Kansas City area.
If anyone knows one, let me know. There is so many electronics on this car , I think I may end up needing someone who really knows their way around audis
Again thanks for the reply

Jessie
04-17-2006, 10:27 PM
It sounds like we have the same car, I also have a 1989 red Audi 200 turbo.
One of the most important things to know about the Audis is that the reservoir that says 'hydraulic mineral oil' and is located at the top of the engine compartment just in front of the firewall takes ONLY hydraulic mineral oil. We have to buy it from the Audi dealership or get it at our mechanic's. Don't let anybody tell you that you can put either power steering fluid or brake fluid in it. We found out the hard ($$$) way with our '89 Audi 100.
The other issue that you have to watch out for with these cars is that the differencial fluid and the transmission fluid don't mix. At this age they should have a tranny service- including changing the gasket- about once a year.
Aren't these great cars, though? What else can you get that's 17 years old that still looks as good as these cars do? Ours haven't got a speck of rust, the interiors are perfect, there's no leaks, no wind noise, the stainless steel 'chrome' looks like new, and they ride and drive beautifully! We found the 100 a year ago with very low mileage and a couple of months ago got the 200 which has even lower mileage. Amazing cars.