Starting Woes 1983 5000s Turbo [Archive] - Audi Forums

: Starting Woes 1983 5000s Turbo

fsadb1
10-13-2005, 09:24 PM
Hello Everyone,

I recently acquired the above mentioned vehicle. Overall, I really like the car. There are a few problems with it though (to be expected for a 22yr old car)!

Sometimes the engine has to turn over several times before it will start. There have been a few instances where the engine would stutter when I was driving down the highway, like it was starving for fuel. Today I drove it home, and then went outside 10 minutes later to take it into town. I wouldn't start at all. The starter is working fine. I took out a spark plug, tried the ignition, and the plug sparked fine. I didn't smell much any fuel though, even though the spark plug had been removed.

My rear defogger also doesn't work, which is a problem up here in Alaska. My #16 fuse in the relay panel is working, so i don't know what the problem is. Possibly a short? Thanks in advance for your help.

Allen

A6_25TDI
10-14-2005, 06:48 AM
Difficult starting and lack of power might indicate a problem with the injection timing advance. I did a timing advance adjust on a 1995 Passat this weekend, and I was deeply impressed by the results: quick and clean starting, considerably better torque performance.

It may not be your case, but it's a good thing to check. You may also check if the engine gets enough fuel (fuel pump, fuel filter...)

fsadb1
10-15-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm guessing that the fuel line is pressurized. What special concerns do I need to be aware of when messing with the fuel lines (changing the fuel filter and pump)? Thanks

Rob-D
10-17-2005, 12:44 AM
There will be some residual pressure at the fuel filter, If you can get some sort of small tray under it (a cut down plastic jug should suffice) to catch the gas, loosen the connections to the filter slowly to relieve the pressure (safety glasses are helpful here) then take the fittings loose and finish changing the filter after the pressure is off. Make sure that you do not misplace any part of the fittings when you connect the new filter.

I always suggest doing the regular maintenance items first before moving on to changing major parts or systems. normally fuel pumps either work or don't work although the pressure or output volume could be low. Test first change later.

Harvey Smith
08-31-2006, 02:06 PM
There's a one way check valve mounted on top of the tank mounted fuel pump, just under a little gadget that looks like a fairly small mushroom. If this check valve malfunctions and allows leakback the fuel line pressure needed to facilitate fast starts will leak off. Excessive cranking duration to start may result. This the advice from a very experienced shop owner. Also, make sure your tank is clean, and the fuel screens are not plugging up. There's a screen on the fuel pump itself but there are other screens in the large plastic fuel return device in the bottom of the tank into which the fuel pump is mounted.