A3 Tdi Versus Golf Tdi [Archive] - Audi Forums

: A3 Tdi Versus Golf Tdi

johnyd01
08-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Hi,

after a quick bit of advice from a3 owners please. basically, over the coming months i will have the option of getting an Audi A3 TDi, or a Golf TDi 4Motion.

Not too sure whether to go for a sportback, and engine size. here are my options:

Audi A3 1.9TDi Euro 4 Sport 5dr Sportback
Audi A3 2.0TDi Euro 4 5dr Sportback
Audi A3 1.9TDi Euro 4 SE 5dr Sportback
Audi A3 2.0TDi Euro 4 3dr

How are the diesel engines? what is the performance like? most importantly to be honest is what is the drive like? i really enjoy driving, but have heard that the A3s are a little too rigid and not that much fun? however, they really do look the part.

i can obviously read magazine reviews etc, but would much rather have the experiences from people that drive them every day.

mandy
08-24-2005, 06:38 AM
Hi,

I'm not an A3 owner yet but am just about to be - I decided to go for the A3 TDi over the Golf TDi purely because I think it looks nicer and there are less of them around!

As far as I'm aware, the difference between the 1.9TDi and the 2.0TDi is power and the gearbox... you get 6-speed with the 2.0TDi and about 35bhp more! That's why I've gone for the 2.0TDi (3-door)! Oh and make sure you check out DSG - it's so much fun to drive even with a diesel engine.

I'm sure some of the owners here can give you more/better advise but at the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference so go for a test drive - I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Good luck!

A3 KID
08-25-2005, 02:03 PM
audi audi audi audi audi :banana: :banana: :banana:

AlexKuhne
09-14-2005, 04:38 AM
Bit of a late reply to this but, I used to drive a Golf now I drive the 2.0TDI Sport A3 (3-door) and its seriously a much better car to drive and to own. The car is actually great fun to drive and the acceleration is pretty dam good for a diesel in my opinion. The olf Golf that i owned wasnt a diesel admittedly, but the overall drive was just.... boring, uncomfortable and i couldnt wait to get out of it!! The A3 however, I cant wait to get back in it! I do around 25k miles per year, and after a year and 4months of driving it, I'm still loving it!! Plus, as you all say, the A3's look much much better than the Golf's!! (apart from maybe the Golf GTI but thats not important! hehe)

Go for Audi if you haven't already!!

-AK-