Audi Forums banner

no spark

13K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  partlex 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum, but a friend recomended it for the quality and technical ability of the others here. I recently purchased a 91 90quattro20v, the car looks good and is decent shape. One big problem, no spark. I have had a couple of local euro mechanics look at it. After 2 months of sitting in their garrages with no results, I am in need of help. It has a new distributor, battery, fuel pump, crankshaft position sensor and plenty of fresh fuel, . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
I have scoured this forum and beleieve that I need to check the cam position sensor, the engine speed sensor and the ECU. After reviewing several pages worth of posts on the same issue, there seems to be quite a bit that can cause this problem. I will get the car back from the shop where it has been stored and not worked on, and see if the push starting method will get it going, if not, the ECU is getting replaced. I love this car, but would love it more if it ran!

#4 ·
Hey slick90...welcome to the forums. Before you go replacing the ECU...Make sure you have checked the ignition coil located on the firewall. I had the same issue about 2 months ago and found it not to be the coil itself but the coil module located right beside it. If the module is not putting the correct amount of amperage to the coil...it will not fire. I bet it's cranking just fine...just not firing right? I'm betting that's your problem. Get back to me before you pull that ECU out. Cheers!

Greg!

#5 ·
Hey! I had no spark because of cam sensor failure - on AAH engine with MPI ignition. And there it was detectable with Vagcom.

What is your engine code, what type of ignition?

Agreed with evo1 - check the coil - I remember there was a test for this by measuring resistance.

#6 ·
Thanks guys, I will get them checked right away. The shop has had the car for over a month and it apparently isn't much of a priority for them. I will get it back and perform the suggested checks and let you know how it goes. How cool is it that I can get more answers here for free than at a shop I was paying to fox the car?

#7 ·
It's Fear!

Most shops are scared of Audi's. There is a lot to them and parts are pricey. So one little mistake on there part could cost them a chunk of change. You should go get your car. I mean if they have had it for a month and havent even tried to look at it they are just wasting your time. Good Luck!!!

#12 ·
Sweet, I replaced the coil pack and after a nice long pull start, she is purring like a kittten that swallowed a pine cone. Not too bad for a car that has been sitting for about three years. It runs fine, and once I figure out how to set the timing, I am sure it will be just great. Now on to fixing the nasty hydraulic leak. I will get a pic on here soon and a big thank you to all who have helped, this is for my twin boys, 15, they need to learn before they drive.

#13 ·
If my dad sat me down with an old audi to fix up before i could drive i would find a more creative place to shove a pinecone than inside a kitten.

Here son, im going to teach you about water by spraying you with a power washer=same lesson severity haha.

in for pics of leaks, i love tracking them down!

#14 ·
It wasn't hard to find the leaks, it looks like instead of using the really cool cable tow hook supplied by Audi, they towed the car by wrapping a cain around the drag link and hoses. The purring like a kitten that swallowed a pine cone has more to do with timing. I haven't looked too hard, but where are the timing marks? Anyone with a trusted site for purchasing hoses and other parts can feel free to send the links, thanks again guys/gals.

#15 ·
Turbo dreams, when I was 15 my dad bought my brother and I a 63 fairlane with a 260 V8. My brother blew the engine so my dad and I pulled it and hauled it into the basement. My dad pointed at the chiltons manuals and his tool box. He told me to read and keep the tools clean. That was my first mechanical experience, the car ran for 60k miles till my brother wrecked it.

#17 ·
Hi chaps, i am also new to this forum and you chaps are very knowledable, please try and help me out, i have experienced the same prob as slick90, except mine is a 94 year v6, i have changed the coil pack, ignition module and the cam sensor, even stripped my alarm system assuming that the immobilser may be the problem (only to realise later that the alarm does not have an immobiliser) i got no spark at all.
Fuel is fresh, 3 mechanics and still no joy... PLZ Help!!!!!

#18 ·
Hi! If it is AAH, then there are more sensors required to get the spark:

1. G28 on the rear on the engine (speed sender)
2. G4 firing point sender
3. G40 (the one you've replaced)

It is always good to check the engine ground. Vagcom diag may show you which specific sender failed (no signal from ...). Signals should be coherent - check timing as well. Finally - it can be ECU - is there any water?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.