98 A4 Overheating
I have the exact same overheating problem as you. I have a 98 Audi A4 V6 2.8 . I've bypassed the fan but that didn't cool it enough. I've changed the thermo switch, water pump, timing belt, timing belt tensioner, and electric fan relay.
1. Lack of coolant. (Checked - good)
2. Water pump defective. (Replaced)
3. Radiator core or grille blocked. (Flushed and checked)
4. Thermostat faulty. (Checked upper radiator hose - hot)
5. Drivebelt or tensioner broken. (Replaced)
6. Electric fan inoperative. (It doesn't work like it should, but when bypassed it didn't cool the radiator, even when on high)
7. Expansion tank cap not maintaining propper pressure. (Checked)
8. Blown head gasket. (Checked - no coolant in the oil or on the engine)
Last edited by ackthpt; 03-04-2007 at 01:41 PM.