Audi Forums banner

Audi A4 (b6) Door Panel Removal ? - How?

128K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  unknownmonkey 
#1 ·
How do i remove the door panel off an A4 2001 on> ?

I am trying to replace the speakers & i cannot get the door panels off.

On my last A4 (1996) it was simple - 2 x grub screws & the 2 main bolts behind the handle & then lift up....

I'm sure this is the same idea (with the plastic L shape bits all round the door)
but i can only find 1 x screw !!

HELP !

anyone ??

David

#6 ·
I am having the same problem with my 2004. I need to get the front and rear door skins off. Both windows are acting up. The front sounds like it has something grinding on it when it goes up and down. the rear keeps popping off the track and has been repaired by the dealer 4 times.
Any online service manuals out there?

#15 ·
Hi Rusnek, did you get to the bottom of this as this has happened to my car today. it sounds like a bit of glass or a stone is grinding against the window (front driver) and it won't close all the way.

I took it to audi early this year and it cost about £50 to fix it so i want to see if i could do it myself.

Was it something grinding or was something broken?

Darren

#7 · (Edited)
My local Audi dealer emailed me three pages from the manual that describe how to remove the panels and disassemble the window frame. See attachment. What I found was the plastic clip that connects the wire to the window is broken. It's a $5 part but Audi don't sell it, they insist that we purchase the entire regulator assembly for $127 to $157. I think I'm going to purchase a $21 repair kit (plus $6 shipping) from Idealautoteile in Turkey. In the meantime I'm driving around with the window firmly clamped up and the motor disconnected.

Here's the update. I ordered the repair kit from Idealautoteile in Turkey and it installed fine. The wire system is different, two separate wires rather than a single loop. This allows for buffer springs at the clip (springs included). There is also a replacement capstan in the event that the original is chewed up. Mine was fine. I don't know yet if the clip is going to hold up any better than the original (nearly 5 years) but at this stage I would recommend it. Don't expect any communication from Idealautoteile ... my enquiries went unanswered, the part just turned up 10 days later as promised.

Attachments

#10 ·
Door panel screws

After removing the top trim and the screws underneath it, you only need to remove the one remaining screw under the door-pull. You will see a hole slanting up at quite an angle. Your medium size posidriv (or phillips) screwdriver will do the job. The hardpart is engaging the screw! With all screws removed you can carefully pop the panel out of the door. Once it's loose you have to get behind it and disconnect the door lever and electrical connections. When you have done that, swing the panel up and out, then up vertically. First time is tricky but the second door will go really quickly!

#12 ·
It is held in by 5 big plastic clips and a few smaller ones. The panel comes straight out (away from the door laterally) but does require a fair bit of force.

The 5 clips are around the perimeter of the door panel. You will very likely break some or most of the big clips but not to worry as the Audi dealer sells new ones for about ~$1 each - so just stop by and get them from the parts department.

To get started use a screw driver covered in masking tape and pry the panel away from the door and then work around the perimeter. Pull forcefully but in a controlled manner and keep in mind there are a few wires/items that attach to the panel (window controller, latch control rod, lights).

#13 · (Edited)
sboutros described the process well. If you work the panel out with a screwdriver (I used a plastic spatula from the kitchen) until you can get your fingers under it, then pull straight out. I found that a short sharp tug at each connection point did the job and I didn't break any clips.
If you think this is tricky wait until your windshield washer bottle springs a leak and you have to remove it ... it's been a whole day and I'm still working it!

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks sboutros and britinindy for the quick replies and clear instructions. Got panel off with 2 out of 5 clips intact. Used a flexible plastic putty knife to pry it far enough away to get started.

Window is stuck solid in down position. Removed and tested motor and it is working properly, so on to regulator. Wish me luck... good luck with the washer bottle.

#17 · (Edited)
Front door panel removal

I have just completed this task on a Oct 2003 a4 B6 1.8T and here is my summary:

1. remove the trim toward the top of the door (the smooth wood, carbon fibre or plastic swoosh on the door): by the door handle pull the part perpendicularly off the door and you will notice a small snap as the part pops from the door. continue forward and pull the part off the door (but do not pull the part to the rear). Once you have got the five clips pulled from he front, slide the part forward to remove (the rear most fastener can only be removed by sliding). [front is toward the front of the car]

2. remove the screws under the trim - there are 4 screws.

3. remove the screw from inside the door grab - (driver: 2 screws under the cover plate, passenger: 1 screw at a wierd angle.)

4. remove the screw from the bottom middle of the panel (this is a long black screw). Apparently this screw may not be on all models.

5. pull the panel off the door: this is not as easy as it sounds. I started at the bottom rear and used my hands and a wooden bar to help, you have to pull quickly to get them to release, work the bottom first then move toward the top: there are two small pop-fasteners at on the sides at the top of the panel. once the pops are disengaged, pull the bottom of the panel away from the door and the the whole panel should lift vertically off the door (you may need to wiggle the top of the panel since it is tight on the top of the door - you do not need to remove the plastic part that is forward of the window by the door mirror).

6. You may have broken some of the pop fasteners n the panel - get them from audi.

7. the panel will still be attached by the door handle cable, pull and disconnect the cable. Note also that you will need to disconnect the electrics beofre the panel can be removed. (the main connector has a purple hinged disconnect lever).

8. The speaker is easy to remove now with a torx set

9. The window mechanism is a bit more involved:
a. remove the foam panel from the door (careful removal of the glue strip will allow you to reuse the glue strip). remove the tape on the top of the door that holds the foam panel to the top of the door.
b. you will need to remove the window motor - careful that the window does not drop as you remove the motor.
c. remove the plastic plugs in the door
d. remove the cables from the clips
e. remove the stanchion bolts (large torx screws)
I just found this link - much more detailed instructions and pics : http://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...tor-amp-Motor-Replacement&highlight=regulator

Wish I had found the link earlier... it would have saved me 20 mins of research and 20 mins typing up this summary.... ah well.

Total time to refurb the window regulator: 3 hours, $30 to Turkey, five swear words - but beats spending $450 with my local Audi dealer.

#19 ·
Panel is held in place with clips around the rim. Once all screws are removed (make sure to remove all - see David's post above), start prying panel away from door at the bottom. After panel is free of clips, push it up over the door lock button and lift it off in an upward motion.

#20 ·
Desperate!

Hi!

Im happy for all the help i found here but... i have a bit different problem. I have to remove the panel from the inside of a closed door!!
My doors didnt lock so i locked them with the button for kids safety. Now... i cannot open them in any way!
Any idea how to do it without breaking them...??

I have Audi A4 2002, 2.5, automatic.

Thanks for any kind of help.

blanka

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.