Audi Forums banner

Tyre Wear

210K views 198 replies 59 participants last post by  rusikkk 
#1 ·
Is anyone having issues with premature tyre wear? My Q7 has done 5000 miles, the front tyres are wearing on the outer edge and have only got 2000 miles left according to my local ATS. I Took it in to my local Audi dealer they carried out a full re-alignment and told me that Audi are looking into the problem. I have a friend who is also having the same problem with his Q7, he has been told exactly the same as I have but he has had to now pay to replace his front tyres after 8000 miles which is not very good.

#2 ·
My 8000 mile Q7 has exactly the same problem, next to no tread left on outer edges of front tyres with plently life left on the rest of the tyres. I am also dissapointed at having to replace my front tyres in the next few weeks and will visit dealer to voice my disapproval.

#4 · (Edited)
tyre wear

I've been to my Audi dealer about this tyre wear problem and they couldn't have been more helpful they said that its not a normal warranty claim but all cases are being referred to Audi and we'll see what they say!!
Before going I checked all the tyre pressures were correct so they couldn't fob me off with any excuses they have taken digital images to send with the report to Audi. As I drove to the garage I monitored the tyre pressures with the onboard computer and was very surprised to see what a difference a little temperature can make to the pressure 2.4 bar up to 2.6/7 bar with normal driving. I suggested to the garage that filling the tyres with nitrogen rather than air could alleviate this temperature issue. Lets see what Audi come back with!!!!:confused:

#6 ·
Q7 is set up for sporty driving and only the outer edges are scrubbed.As Badger has pointed out,these vehicles drive more like cars so there is a lot of stress on the tyres.If you look at the new tyres the outer edge profile is shamfered from the start.It has also been noted that tyre pressures are critical for the laden weight of the vehicleIts becoming quite common that those that drive hard have this issue and those with less sporty driving styles dont.Have your wheel alignment checked and if adjustment is out re checked in 1000 miles.AGAIN THE CORRECT TYRE PRESSURES FOR THE TYPE OF JOURNEY AND LADEN WEIGHT IS CRITICAL TO GOOD TYRE LIFE.

#9 ·
Same problem 3 tyres -- Mine going in for alignment check.
I'm told by ATS that Goodyear are better.
Still Im not a mad driver an 8000 miles is a record given my shogun lasted 28000 before needing new ones.

#13 · (Edited)
tyres

My Q7 is back from the dealers today after them having it in for 24hrs.
They reckon they've carried out a full alignment check and corrected misalignment. My wife picked it up as I'm away at work (its her car anyway) she asked about new tyres and was told they'd have to contact Audi customer services if we wanted them to CONTRIBUTE towards new tyres-my wife questioned the CONTRIBUTION and said she expected new ones ! They came back with the answer we would expect.... when you fork out that kind of money for a motor! ( Which was evidently supplied incorrectly set-up) Audi are coughing up the total cost of replacement tyres .......so at the moment I'm a happy bunny!! lets see what happens in another 6-8k miles..

Very pleased with the service from Audi..
I've had Audi's for 20 yrs now since my first coupe quattro, not because of service but because of build quality and reliability lets hope this one doesn't change my mind!
:) :) :) :)

#14 ·
How strange to see so many tyre problems, i logged in to the forums to let everybody know my problems with tyre wear but it seems it is more than just me.
Here goes, just had the car in at Audi for a rear light full of condensation was going to wait for the first service to cure this but the alarming rate of outer edge tyre wear had prompted me to ring the dealer to get them to check out the wear.
Apparently my car is tracked and been subkect to a full geometery check and all is as it should be. No reason for the tyre wear can be found. I felt like a little boy racer in the dealers when they asked me did i corner vigourosly - lol.
The service guy told me he would report it to audi hq, but saw no reason to worry as the tyres are legal (i will be getting this confirmed at an MOT centre in the morning).
I asked to speak to the mechanic who had worked on the car and he let it slip that they have had quite a few owners back with the same problems and he knew of no solution yet.

To sum up 9500 miles and I am looking to replace my tyres before I get to 10000 miles. Yes I know its a heavy car, yes I know it is set up for road use, yes I know big tyres wear on the outer edges and tyre pressures make a massive difference (i check mine at least twice a week).

None of my other cars have displayed such rapid tyre wear at such a low mileage.
Previous cars below.

VW Touareg
Range Rover Sport
Range Rover
BMW X5
Isuzu Trooper
The list goes on.

After reading the poster who is going to get his tyres replaced FOC, I will be following the same route or at least some discount should be given because they think I drive vigourosly.

Not a happy Q7 owner - the tyre wear on my car is spoiling an otherwise excellent car.

#15 ·
Took my car to dealer and they arranged an alignment check which they carried out under Warranty. The alignment proved to be okay but Audi are still not interested, their official response is that it the tyre wear on the outer edges is due to driver style.
Dealer has advised me now to pursue Audi Customer service, has anyone else done this and received a different response.

#16 ·
Tyres

I have been getting a wobble through the steering wheel so I took the car to my local ATS who balanced the front wheels, the car was still the same so I took it back to ATS who then told me the wobble was probably due to the fact my tyres are so warn on the outer edge.

They also told me m tyres had less than 1000 miles left before they were going to be ilegal.

I again contacted Audi customer services who basically told me there was nothing they could do and to contact my dealer to see if they could help.

I contacted my local Audi dealer, spoke to the service manager who told me he had just received an email from Audi regarding the Q7 tyre wear. It basicaly said if tyre wear is present the dealer must do an alignment check, if the check is ok the customer has to then pay for the alignment (£120), if the alignment is out Audi will contribute 50% towards the tyres if the vehicle has covered less than 8000 miles and 25% if the vehicle has covered between 8000-10000 miles, if the vehicle has covered more than 10000 miles then no contribution will be made.

It is still not good enough Audi should be ashamed, my car has only done 7500 miles, they obviously know there is a fault with the Q7, but do not want to admit it as it will probably cost them millions if they own up.

I will not buy another Audi, Im off to BMW to order an X5, my last one did not chew tyres like this one and when there was a problem the dealer sorted it out and did not ask you to phone Audi to get issues resolved.

Needless to say I have told ATS to order me in 2 tyres as why gamble £120 only for the dealer to say the alignment is ok.

Its such a shame as I love the car but if this is how they react to tyre problems, god knows how they would react if the engine blew up. Would they blame driving style for that too?

The end of Audi for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 ·
Our Q7 has gone in to the shop this morning for

NEW PDC Sensors all round due to them not sensing properly and also the paint having come off them all

Wheel alignment due to massive wear around the edges ( 6months old car / 14000miles / 21" Wheels ). This was the dealer who said they wanted to do this, we didn't ask for it

Replacement ashtray LOL....I lent on it too hard and broke it

Fault finding with MMI as the Voice Command has totally stopped working, the Radio keeps cutting out, the Telephone module didn't even think it was installed and the other MMI components were all about hit and miss if they would work or not.

Apart from all that, the car is super cool LOL

Si

#18 ·
Hi Si,

Interesting about the PDC sensors - All mine have been replaced as well. I also had a workshop bill for 17 hrs of investigations into exactly the same symptoms Tel and Bluetooth not working after 2 or 3 minutes from start up. All down to a warranty claim mind! Ouch that’s got to cost someone.

My dealer had to take all the front dash by the glove box apart to get to the control unit and individually test all the parts in the Optic / MOST system.

I had them sign a disclaimer to say they would rectify any squeaks or rattles that develop from the dash as i just know this is going to bite me later. I hate dash rattles.

She has also been in the work shop AGAIN! Some one decided to park their fiesta into and along the drivers and rear passenger door. @@@@@@@ Ford drivers! Got her back on Monday from the rear LHS new door and panel, then back in the body shop the following Thursday! Both times now ive parked in the Parent and child sections, i just can’t believe the Q is not big enough to see.

They gave me a Range Rover Vogue this time. Better than the Porsche but still nothing on the Q7. I was so happy to get her back..

I’m hoping that’s my third and final problem. Other wise i just love the car, and am very happy so far.

R

#19 · (Edited)
Ive been talking to a few bmw and range rover lads and we all agree the new softer compound tyres are a compromise for the great handling of the Q7 and they also suffer from short service life of there tyres.So after resetting wheel alignment and taking in to account the camber movement of the suspension in all modes it looks like the only answer to you tyre wear is to fit a harder compound tyre and lose the great handling of the Q7 or accept it and replace the tyres.Wheel alignment is carried out to a static vehicle and not dynamic so the movement of these great beasts is hard to judge but if the suspension was softer the handling would be reduced but the tyre wear would improve so which do you wont.I am not even going to mention the porsche and the merc as they are worse but have less complaints as there customers accept it and may be they have more money.

#22 ·
dazrob said:
I contacted my local Audi dealer, spoke to the service manager who told me he had just received an email from Audi regarding the Q7 tyre wear. It basicaly said if tyre wear is present the dealer must do an alignment check, if the check is ok the customer has to then pay for the alignment (£120), if the alignment is out Audi will contribute 50% towards the tyres if the vehicle has covered less than 8000 miles and 25% if the vehicle has covered between 8000-10000 miles, if the vehicle has covered more than 10000 miles then no contribution will be made.
Got my car back and this is what Audi UK told my dealer as well

As my wheel alignment was well out they paid for that no problem but Audi UK refuse to pay for new tyres. My dealer, bless them, weren't happy about this and have registered a complaint higher up the chain so I guess we'll have to see what comes of that.

My PDC is working fine now, I have all new sensors but the monkeys have left some oil stains in the boot and passenger well :mad: so there's going to hell to pay fot that.

MMI is still broken....looks to me that these dealers don't really understand the "computer" side of stuff and this whole MMI system has to be looked at by an external company so it's off there shortly.

I'll keep you guys posted on the tyres progree but my advice to anyone getting a new Q7 is to have the alignment checked ASAP to avoid any costly problems later

Si

#181 ·
MMI Issues

Had similar problem with my Q7. The dealer here in the USA, changed out the MMI panel and the telephone control module for $1800.00 all is working perfectly, but the Audi people should be shot for installing cup holders over such sensative equipment. The dealer will blame you for spilling liquids
over the MMI control panel.

#23 · (Edited)
bmw x5 doesnt wear tyres think not

a8 tech[SIZE=2 said:
Ive been talking to a few bmw and range rover lads and we all agree the new softer compound tyres are a compromise for the great handling of the Q7 and they also suffer from short service life of there tyres.So after resetting wheel alignment and taking in to account the camber movement of the suspension in all modes it looks like the only answer to you tyre wear is to fit a harder compound tyre and lose the great handling of the Q7 or accept it and replace the tyres.Wheel alignment is carried out to a static vehicle and not dynamic so the movement of these great beasts is hard to judge but if the suspension was softer the handling would be reduced but the tyre wear would improve so which do you wont.I am not even going to mention the porsche and the merc as they are worse but have less complaints as there customers accept it and may be they have more money.BMW X5 owners - Wheels-InMotion[/SIZE]
looks like all the big guns have tyre wear

#24 ·
I have read this thread with interest.

I'm afraid gentlemen you have to accept wear of 8 - 10,000 miles as appropriate for such a vehicle & suspension set up.

Over many year of car ownership, I have had cars where this has happened & replaced the front tyres at these sort of distances, with little whimper.

Instead, I suggest you enjoy the vehicles but be prepared for these type of consequences when purchasing cars of a certain caliber :D

#123 ·
Even when driven mostly around 50mph and seldom over 70? Also in comparison with other similar cars such as a Jaguar XK8, BMW X5, Mercedes ML, Range Rover, Land Cruiser and others which generally managed over 30,000 miles on a set of tyres driven in similar conditons, mainly less favourable if anything. [except for the Jag which wore its two drive tyres rather quicker, around 15000 miles IIRC].

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.